The long-running dispute over installing 130 wind turbine towers in Nantucket Sound is nearing a conclusion.
U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar says Cape Wind and all major parties supporting and opposing the project will have until March 1 to come to a compromise.
Failing that, he will take action and come to a final decision by the end of April.
The project was first proposed in 2001 by Energy Management Inc., based in Boston with an office in Cape Cod.
The community organization Save Our Sound: Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound has proposed the wind farm location be moved to a site about three miles south of Tuckernuck Island on Nantucket Sound, but so far Cape Wind has said that is not possible.
Look for coverage in the May issue.
This article originally appeared in the New England Home Waters Section of the April 2010 issue.