BP made “cost or time-saving decisions without considering contingencies and mitigation” that were “contributing causes” of the Deepwater Horizon oil platform disaster on April 20, 2010, an official U.S. government inquiry has concluded.
The final report from the joint investigation of the Coast Guard and the offshore oil regulator, published Wednesday morning, accused BP of “multiple decisions” that were in violation of its own internal best-practice guidelines, and so failed “to ensure all risks associated with operations on the Deepwater Horizon were as low as reasonably practicable.”
The explosion killed 11 men and caused the largest accidental offshore oil spill in history.
Click here for a Financial Times report on the findings.
Chapters of the final JIT Investigative Report can be downloaded below:
• Volume I
In a related story, Tropical Storm Lee has exposed old oil from BP spill.
BP PLC is sending cleanup crews back to Fourchon Beach, La., because erosion from Tropical Storm Lee unearthed miles of tar balls, tar mats and abandoned cleanup equipment left from last year's oil spill.
Six task forces - 90 workers and 17 technicians - will work a seven-day-a-week schedule to clean up the beach, BP spokesman Curtis Thomas told The Courier (http://bit.ly/q62h7J).
"We knew this was coming," BP spokesman Curtis Thomas told the local Courier newspaper. "That's why we've had this manpower on standby."
Six task forces – 90 workers and 17 technicians – are scheduled to work a seven-day-a-week schedule to clean up the beach,.