Skip to main content

Holiday weekend yields big trouble for boaters

The long Independence Day weekend is historically one of the busiest for on-water activities. Boaters from around the country had rescue officials busy with responses.

In Palm Beach, Fla., one man was killed and another seriously injured after a boat exploded and caught fire in the Intracoastal Waterway south of Peanut Island near the Sailfish Club.

Witnesses told firefighters the fire began when the boaters tried to start the engine of the 34-foot cabin cruiser.

The blast knocked one of the men into the water. The other jumped. Both latched on to a vessel that came to help them.

Click here for a video of the burning vessel.

InCape Charles, Va., a fire forced a boat owner to abandon his 41-foot vessel Sunday and jump overboard into the water 16 miles east of Fisherman Island.

The boater contacted the Coast Guard at 5:07 p.m. via VHF channel 16 before abandoning his boat, and kept in constant communications while in the water with a hand-held radio.

Click here for the report.

InAnnapolis, Md., the Maryland Natural Resources Police are investigating a fatal boating accident that occurred at 4:30 p.m. July 4 on the Magothy River near Dobbins Island.

Police responded to the area for a report of a missing person that was thrown from a vessel. Preliminary investigation by police revealed the 25-year-old male from Pasadena, Md., and a friend were thrown from a 17-foot Carolina Skiff after the vessel suddenly turned sharply. The friend was picked up by another vessel and Kane could not be located.

Click here for the report with video.

In the Great Lakes, a Coast Guard Station Oswego (N.Y.) boat crew rescued a man, a woman and a 15-year-old boy from a 34-foot pleasure craft taking on water about 17 miles north of Oswego, nearly in the middle of Lake Ontario, at approximately 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

When the Coast Guardsmen arrived on scene in a 47-foot motor life boat, they found the vessel with water up to the floorboards and helped to dewater it.

They then transferred all three people, who were wearing life jackets, safely aboard the motor life boat and began towing the damaged vessel toward Oswego.

None of the three people required medical attention.

The mariners contacted the Coast Guard via VHF radio after the boat began to take on water.

It is unknown what caused the vessel to flood.