Skip to main content

‘Hostile’ boater hits alphabet shoals

The operator of a 60-footer refuses to leave his boat after reportedly failing a sobriety test

The operator of a 60-footer refuses to leave his boat after reportedly failing a sobriety test

Looking into the eyes of the skipper of a 60-foot Sunseeker at 10 p.m. one night this summer after the boat had been stopped for no running lights, a Maryland marine police officer saw all she probably needed to know.

In her official report on the incident near Annapolis, she recorded that the man’s eyes were “watery, glassy, bloodshot, droopy. Pupils dilated.” Moreover, the 53-year-old shirtless skipper’s speech was “slurred, incoherent, confused, loud,” while his attitude was “hostile, antagonizing, insulting [and] aggressive.”

It may not be surprising, then, that before the night was over the man and his female companion had been forced to the deck of their boat, handcuffed and taken ashore. Department of Natural Resources Cpl. Beth McVeigh charged Stephen Gregory Carl of Crownsville, Md., with operating while intoxicated, resisting arrest and assault on a police officer.

Carl’s companion, Michelle Yvonne Micklos, 37, of Edgewater, Md., was charged with three counts of assault and hindering Carl’s arrest.

According to reports filed by McVeigh and another officer, McVeigh and her partner, officer Eva Reynolds, were patrolling in the Round Pond section of the Severn River in Crownsville at 9:45 p.m. June 24, when they saw the powerboat Speculation Too. They turned on their flashing blue light and brought their patrol boat alongside the Sunseeker. McVeigh turned a spotlight on it and saw a shirtless man operating the boat, which continued moving for about a minute before coming to a stop.

“The operator came to the rear of the vessel, staggering and falling down, even as he supported himself by holding on to parts of the boat,” McVeigh writes in the report. McVeigh says she found the boat littered with “alcohol containers” when she boarded Speculation Too. Informed that he had been stopped for operating without running lights, Carl replied: “Someone keeps leaning on the lights, and they go out,” she reports.

At one point, McVeigh writes, Micklos complained, “We already ran aground on some rocks, and now this.”

To test Carl’s sobriety, McVeigh says she asked him to recite the alphabet without singing it. After several failed attempts, he said: “I don’t know. I would love to do it, but if I don’t do it … A, B, C, D, E, F, J, A … if I don’t do it right you’re gonna arrest me.”

At that point, McVeigh reports, she told Carl he had to go ashore for additional sobriety tests. He responded: “I’m not f---ing leaving my boat.”

“He became confrontational, yelling in my face. ‘This is BS. I pay taxes,’ ” reports McVeigh. McVeigh told Carl he was under arrest and directed him to turn around so she could handcuff him. When he refused, she told him he “would be taken to the ground and handcuffed by force.” At 10:15 p.m., a third DNR officer, Robert C. Martin, arrived, and the three marine police tackled Carl, who thrashed on the deck of his boat while being cuffed.

As the officers began to transfer Carl from his boat to theirs, Martin says in his report, Micklos “got in the path of this officer and yelled, then pushed me to force me away from Mr. Carl.”

“You’re not taking him, you f---ing pigs!” Martin reports Micklos said. Martin writes that when he attempted to handcuff Micklos, she resisted by “hitting, kicking and continued yelling.” Micklos, too, was forced to the deck and handcuffed, according to the police reports.

The officers contacted the Coast Guard in Annapolis, which took custody of Carl’s boat.

“This is one we’re going to follow through and get a trial date,” says DNR spokesman Cpl. Ken Turner. Whether Carl and Micklos are brought to trial will be determined by the state’s attorney, he says.