MIAMI BEACH - Ten marine manufacturers were presented with 2010 Innovation Awards this morning at the 69th annual Miami International Boat Show & Strictly Sail Miami.
The awards program is organized by the National Marine Manufacturers Association, and the products are judged by a panel of Boating Writers International members.
The winners were:
• Consumer electronics and software: Standard Horizon for its Matrix AIS unit. An honorable mention went to Simrad for its NSE12 multifunction marine display.
• Consumer-installed docking and fendering equipment: EZ Dock for its EZ Launch product.
• Consumer-installed non-electronic hardware: Hunt, for its adjustable table.
• Consumer personal gear: Sailology for its WinchRite electric winch handle.
• Cruisers (25 to 140 feet, including fishing craft): Boston Whaler for its 370 Outrage. Rinker received an honorable mention for its 310 Express Cruiser.
• Personal watercraft, jet boats and pontoon boats: Sea-Doo for its 260-hp RXT-X 2609 watercraft.
• Runabouts and fishing craft to 24 feet: MasterCraft for its X-25.
• Safety equipment: FLIR Systems Inc. for its FLIR First Mate thermal imaging device.
• Water sports and equipment: BRP for its BRP Advanced TEC iCATCH personal watercraft trailer.
• Environmental Award: Torqueedo for its Travel 503/1003, which provides information on such things as speed, power consumption and state of charge.
The BWI judging panel was chaired by Zuzana Prochazka, technical editor of Latitudes & Attitudes magazine. Other judges included Mark Corke of the "On Board with Mark Corke" blog; Alan Jones, executive editor of Boating World magazine; Frank Lanier, freelance marine journalist; Darrell Nicholson, editor of Practical Sailor magazine; Lenny Rudow, author and freelance writer; and Peter Swanson, freelance writer.