The Norwalk (Conn.) Seaport Association has once again lit the 143-year old Sheffield Island Lighthouse for the first time in more than 100 years. A commissioning ceremony was held on Oct. 17 to light the tower light, as well as to turn on the newly refurbished old and inefficient electrical system on Sheffield Island.
A highlight of the project was the installation of a United States Coast Guard approved low-energy light in the Lighthouse tower. While the white light will not be used as an aid to navigation, it will be visible intermittently from the Connecticut side of Long Island Sound.
Activated in 1868, the Sheffield Island Lighthouse was in service for 34 years until its retirement in 1902. Today the lighthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is maintained, along with the island, as a museum and nature preserve by Norwalk Seaport Association volunteers.