Boating Writers International honored marine journalists Friday during the Miami International Boat Show.
Presentations in 17 categories in BWI’s annual writing contest, representing $17,000 in awards, were made to first ($500), second ($300) and third ($200) place scorers.
Cash award recipients also received a recognition plaque noting their “excellence in creating compelling stories about the boating lifestyle through entertaining, educational and inspiring journalism.”
In its 22nd year, the BWI contest attracted 134 participants who submitted 349 entries. In addition to cash awards, certificates of merit were presented to writers of another 60 articles that scored within 95 percent of third-place tallies in each category.
All contest submissions were published last year. Each of the categories was judged by four active journalists in the first few weeks of the new year.
The Active interest Media Marine Group received a total of 17 awards and 20 certificates of merit. Anglers Journal swept the Fishing category, and three Marine Group magazines — Power & Motoryacht, Soundings and Sail — swept the Boating Profiles category.
Here are the first-place winners in each category:
• Boat/Engine Care and Maintenance (sponsored by Interlux Yacht Finishes): “Boat Systems Bootcamp,” by Frank Lanier (Boating World, September)
• Seamanship, Rescue & Safety (sponsored by Sea Tow Services International): “Remembering the Cuyahoga,” by Michael Fincham (Chesapeake Bay Magazine, February)
• Boating Photography (sponsored by Freedom Boat Club): “Spirit of America Crash,” by Brett Bayne (Speedboat, December)
• Boating Columns (sponsored by KVH Industries Inc.): “Loose Cannon,” by Peter Swanson (Soundings Online)
• Boating Issues, News and Analysis (sponsored by Mercury Marine): “The Future: Electric Boats,” by Vincent Daniello (Yachting, December)
• Boat Projects, Renovations & Retrofits (sponsored by Awlgrip North America): “Make Your Boat 1000 Times Better,” by Lenny Rudow (Boats.com, Nov. 8)
• Boating Adventures (sponsored by Yamaha Marine Group): “The No Good Very Bad Windiest Day,” by Carol Cronin (Boats.com, Nov. 30)
• The Business of Boating (sponsored by Home Port Marine Marketing): “Undervalued Gen X is Boating’s Sweet Spot,” by Michael Sciulla (Soundings Trade Only, May)
• Boat Tests & Reviews (sponsored by Volvo Penta): “Sea-Doo Spark,” by Jeff Hemmel (Boating, June)
• Boating Travel or Destinations (sponsored by Martin Flory Group): “Pot of Gold,” by Nadine Slavinski (Cruising World, December)
• Gear, Electronics & Product Tests (sponsored by Xantrex/Schneider Electric): “Where To Steer, Eat & Anchor On the ICW,” by Frank Lanier (Practical Sailor, May)
• Boating Lifestyles (sponsored by Discover Boating): “Buried Treasure” by Chris Caswell (Power & Motoryacht, March)
• Boating Profiles (sponsored by ZF Marine): “Townsend Bell Is Slowing Down,” by Kevin Koenig (Power & Motoryacht, November)
• Online Expressions (sponsored by BoatUS): “WaveTrain: A Blog About Cruising Sailboats and Other Aquatic Miracles,” by Charles Doane
• Fishing (sponsored by Suzuki Motor Corp.): 1st, “Circling Back,” by Barry Gibson (Anglers Journal, Winter)
• Ethics and Environment (presented by the BWI membership): “Thar She Blows,” by Marty LeGrand (Chesapeake Bay, December)
• Technical Writing (sponsored by Dometic Marine): “Taking Wing,” by Peter Nielsen (Sail, May)