Skip to main content

Mishaps and Rescues Long Island October 2010

Coast Guard pulls sailor out of the water


A Coast Guard Station Boston crew picked up a 33-year-old man near Piers Park Sailing Center in Boston Harbor at 10:15 a.m.

The man fell overboard after the boom on his sailboat knocked him into the water.

The man was thrown a life jacket by his wife who remained aboard the vessel, but she was unable to get him back on board.

A Coast Guard Station Boston 25-foot boat crew was on a routine patrol and came across the man in the water. After the boat crew recovered the man from the water, he was returned to the sailboat and the sailing center sent out a boat to tow the vessel back to the dock. There were no injuries to the man or woman. (Aug. 3)

Six stranded after grounding

Cape Porpoise, Maine

Coast Guard crew, along with Wells and Kennebunkport fire rescue crews, responded to a distress call near Cape Porpoise, Maine. The operator of a 20-foot motorboat with six passengers called Coast Guard Station Portsmouth Harbor watchstanders and reported their vessel struck a rock near Folly Island and was taking on water at approximately 11 p.m.

A 47-foot Motor Life Boat crew and fire department vessels were unable to reach the vessel because of the water's depth and rough weather. Fire department responders used inflatable boats that could safely reach Folly Island. Rescuers waded through waist-deep water to reach the vessel passengers and brought them ashore.

An HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter hoisted two passengers and transported them to Portsmouth Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. All six passengers are reported to be in stable condition. (Aug. 8)

Man fined after flare celebration

Gloucester, Mass.

The Coast Guard fined a Gloucester, Mass., man who was shooting flares on Independence Day even though he was not in distress. Coast Guard Station Gloucester was able to identify the man, who was fined $180 when he admitted to wrongfully setting off the flares.

The Coast Guard takes false distress calls very seriously and actively pursues those who make them. The person responsible can be ordered to pay restitution to the government in an amount equal to that spent on responding to the hoax, a fine of up to $250,000 and up to six years in prison. (July 28)

Tug strikes Virginia railroad bridge

Hampton Roads, Va.

Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads, Va., watchstanders received a report of an allision of a construction tug with the Gilmerton Bridge.

While working on the bridge, the tug hit the fender system of the railroad bridge, damaging the sensors that control the closing of the bridge.

A maintenance crew arrived on the scene and fixed the sensors. The waterway remained open to vessel traffic. The cause of the allision is under investigation. (Aug. 12) n

Anglers adrift without fuel

The Coast Guard rescued four people after the 22-foot fishing boat they were aboard ran out of gas 70 miles east of Cape May, N.J. The Coast Guard received a call at approximately 1:05 p.m. from the spouse of one of the passengers aboard, stating her husband was to be home at 3.p.m. and he had not yet returned. His truck and trailer were still parked at the boat ramp from where he left.

A HH-65 helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., an HC-130J aircraft crew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., and the crew of the Coast Guard cutter Mako arrived on the scene and continued to search for the boaters throughout the night.

At approximately 10:20 p.m. the HC-130J crew spotted the vessel through their multimode radar, which is an advanced operational radar system. After they picked up the initial target with the system, they were able to arrive at the location where the cream-colored vessel was spotted with four people aboard. The crew of the Mako was diverted to the area, launched their small boat and rescued all four people. A crew from Coast Guard Station Cape May moored the vessel at a nearby boat ramp.

It was also reported the 22-foot vessel did not have an EPIRB and did not have a VHF radio aboard or a working cell phone.

"We were fortunate to find them," says Capt. Todd Gatlin, captain of the port for Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay in Philadelphia. "We received conflicting information on when they departed, where they might fish, when they were scheduled to return and even how many people were on board the boat. In fact, our initial searches, based off earlier information about where they had planned on going, was north of where the boat was eventually found. We shifted our search efforts and eventually found them only after talking to one of their friends who had previously fished with them. A float plan detailing who was on board and where they planned to go, with a schedule, would have helped tremendously. Additionally, an EPIRB, which could have been activated once they ran into trouble, would have allowed us to go right to them." (July 31)

Search suspended for missing mariner

Coast Guard crews suspended a search for a missing mariner near the Charles S. Braga Bridge in Fall River, Mass. Crews extensively searched an area approximately five square miles along the river near the boater's last known location.

Rescue crewmembers from Station Castle Hill used 25- and 45-foot response boats to search the area. An HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Cape Cod conducted sorties, including a first-light search, to no avail (Aug. 9)

Boat ablaze near Point Judith

Coast Guard response crews respond to a boat fire 1.5 miles east of Point Judith, R.I.

A mariner called 911 reporting its 38-foot vessel caught fire at approximately 4 p.m. A good Samaritan from the vessel Tiger 5 recovered the mariner in the water and he is reported to be in good condition.

The vessel sank shortly after rescue boat crews from Coast Guard Station Point Judith and Castle Hill arrived on the scene. The cause of the fire is under investigation. (Aug. 5)

Overdue boater found safe

An overdue boater was found safe in a survival craft near Brenton Reef at the entrance of Narragansett Bay, R.I. The crew of the fishing vessel Five J's notified the Coast Guard that they found the man in his rigid-hull craft around 5:21 a.m. A Coast Guard Station Castle Hill boat crew met the Five J's and transported him to awaiting EMS at the station, where it was reported there are no injuries.

The mariner stated he was the only person on the vessel when his boat sank and was unsure of the location. The cause of the sinking is unknown. (Aug. 3)

Boat catches fire in Pamlico Sound

Good Samaritans rescued three crewmembers from a burning commercial shrimp vessel near Bluff Shoal in Ocracoke, N.C.

Crewmembers from the fishing vessel Lady Susie II safely removed all three crewmembers from the 75-foot vessel, First Chance, after Coast Guard watchstanders received calls at approximately 3:45 p.m. from the crew aboard the North Carolina Ferry Roanoke.

The Roanoke reported seeing heavy smoke to the northwest. At 3:57 p.m., the crew aboard the fishing vessel Lady Susie II also reported seeing the vessel on fire.

Station Hatteras Inlet and Station Ocracoke launched crews on two rescue boats after receiving the initial call. Station Ocracoke's 24-foot rescue boat crew was the first on the scene and found the fishing vessel pilothouse engulfed in flames.

Station Hatteras Inlet's 47-foot Motor Life Boat crew arrived and transferred the three crewmembers of the fishing vessel to Far Creek in Engelhard, N.C.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this time and under investigation. (Aug. 6)

Coast Guard rescues kayaker

The Coast Guard rescued a man in a kayak in Absecon Bay near Absecon, N.J.

The Coast Guard received a call at 8:30 p.m. from a member of Sea Tow Atlantic City, reporting the man was kayaking in Absecon Bay and had departed from the Absecon Sportsman Club at 6:30 p.m.

A rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Atlantic City, N.J., located the man on Shad Island and transported him back to the station, where he was picked up by family members. (Aug. 6)

This article originally appeared in the October 2010 issue.