Skip to main content

Mishaps and Rescues New England March 2011

Three rescued after vessels collide


Coast Guard rescue crews helped three mariners from a fishing vessel that was taking on water after a collision southeast of Hull, Mass.

Coast Guard Sector Boston watchstanders received a distress call via VHF channel 16 from the vessel West Bay, a 600-foot bulk carrier.

The call said the West Bay and a 51-foot fishing vessel, the Michael Brandon, had collided 20 miles southeast of Hull about 5 p.m. The West Bay reported no damage to its hull, but the Michael Brandon had extensive damage to its bow.

Watchstanders issued an urgent broadcast to mariners in the area. A Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Cape Cod and a 47-foot Motor Life Boat crew from Station Point Allerton went to the scene of the collision.

The helicopter crew, which was at the scene within 30 minutes, lowered a dewatering pump to the fishing vessel to help control flooding. Unable to dewater and repair the vessel offshore, the lifeboat crew took the Michael Brandon in tow.

The three mariners and the vessel were later in safe harbor near Scituate, Mass. The cause of the collision was under investigation. (Jan. 11)

Flare sighting draws investigation

Boothbay Harbor, Maine

The Coast Guard is seeking information about a flare that was sighted in the Georges River near Thomaston Harbor about 6:30 p.m. Coast Guard Sector Northern New England received a report of the flare from a person on shore.

Coast Guard Station Boothbay Harbor was searching the area, along with the Maine Marine Patrol and the local sheriff.

The Coast Guard sector is asking anyone who had friends or family that were hunting in the area and might have information about the matter to contact their command center at (207) 741-0303. (Jan. 8)

Fisherman airlifted from vessel

Gloucester, Mass.

An air crew from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod medically evacuated a man from the fishing vessel Sammy Jo 70 miles east of Gloucester, Mass., at 2:46 p.m.

Coast Guard Sector Boston received a call from the Sammy Jo about 2 p.m. over VHF channel 16 that said a 55-year-old male crewmember sustained a head injury two days before and was suffering from swelling.

After the flight surgeon at Air Station Cape Cod was consulted, the man was medically evacuated and taken to Massachusetts General Hospital. (Jan. 5)

This article originally appeared in the New England Home Waters Section of the March issue.