Skip to main content

Mishaps - Mid-Atlantic


John R. Leopold, Anne Arundel (Md.) County executive, christens the hull of the 35-foot emergency-response vessel Arundel Patriot Sept. 24 during a commissioning ceremony at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis, Md. The Arundel Patriot is the first aluminum catamaran to be placed in service by the Anne Arundel County police and fire departments. More than 100 people attended the christening of the county's first joint emergency-response boat.

Image placeholder title

Recovered Coast Guardsman identified

Portsmouth, Va.

The Coast Guard identified the body of the Coast Guardsman who died Oct. 13 after falling into the James River near Newport News during a training exercise.

Petty Officer Third Class Shaun Lin, 23, hailed from New York. Lin, a maritime enforcement specialist, served the Coast Guard for approximately three years.

At approximately 9:15 p.m., Lin, a member of the Maritime Safety and Security Team New York, fell from a ladder into the James River while attempting to transfer from a 25-foot small boat to the Coast Guard cutter Frank Drew during a training exercise in the vicinity of the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel near Newport News.

The crew aboard the small boat attempted a recovery, but lost sight of him.

An immediate search began with surface and air help as well as a subsurface search with local police and fire dive teams and side-scan sonar.

The training accident is under investigation.

Two rescued from Patapsco River

Station Baltimore

The Coast Guard rescued two people Oct. 1 from a vessel taking on water in the Patapsco River near Fort Smallwood State Park, Md.

Thomas H. Tolson Sr., 49, from Severn, Md., and John L. Sullivan, Jr., 60, from Columbia, Md., were both rescued.

Coast Guard Sector Baltimore watchstanders received a distress call via cell phone at 2:11 p.m., reporting that Wood Duck, a 38-foot fishing vessel, had struck an object and was taking on water.

A 41-foot utility-boat crew from Coast Guard Station Curtis Bay, Md., a Maryland Natural Resources Police crew, an Anne Arundel fire crew and two Maryland State Police helicopters were dispatched.

The Coast Guard crew arrived at 2:28 p.m., and began dewatering the vessel. The crew placed the vessel in tow and transported Tolson and Sullivan onto the Coast Guard vessel where they were then taken to Station Curtis Bay.

There were no reports of injuries.

Two rescued off Portsmouth, R.I.

Station Castle Hill, R.I.

A good Samaritan vessel rescued two people from the water at about 1:45 p.m. Sept. 29 after the 29-foot boat they were on experienced an engine failure off Portsmouth, R.I., near Prudence Island.

A Coast Guard Station Castle Hill 45-foot response boat crew took the rescued people off the good Samaritan boat and transported them to Mellville Marina in Portsmouth, where a waiting ambulance took them to Newport Hospital. There are no reports of serious injuries.

Two other people who remained aboard the disabled boat were taken aboard a U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary boat. A second auxiliary boat took the disabled vessel under tow and transferred it to a commercial towing service.

The cause of the mishap is unknown, but will be investigated by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, which also had a boat respond to the scene.

Rapidly taking on water

Station Provincetown (Mass.)

One person died and a Coast Guard crew rescued two others Oct. 8 after a boat began taking on water about one mile off the coast of Provincetown, Mass.

A station crewmember performed CPR on one of the unconscious boaters on the trip back to the station, but the boater was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

The two survivors were hypothermic, but in stable condition when rescued by the Coast Guard crew.

Around 9:10 a.m., the Coast Guard received a distress call from a person aboard the 20-foot vessel stating they were taking on water.

Coast Guard crews were able to use Rescue 21, the Coast Guard's advanced command, control and communications system, to triangulate the location of the boat.

Rescue 21 used the signal received from two towers to pinpoint the boaters' location.

A 47-foot motor lifeboat from Coast Guard Station Provincetown responded to the calls and recovered all three boaters from the water.

A local EMS crew met the crew and boaters at the station to transport the three to a local hospital. The name and home port of the vessel is unknown. The cause of the vessel taking on water is unknown.

This article originally appeared in the the Mid-Atlantic Home Waters section of the December 2010 issue.