Skip to main content

Mishaps Mid-Atlantic - January

Four men on a capsized hull

Point Pleasant, N.J.

A Coast Guard rescue boat crewmember from Station Manasquan Inlet, N.J., throws a heaving line Nov. 6 to a man on a capsized 17-foot boat one nautical mile off Point Pleasant.

A Coast Guard small-boat crew rescued four men from a capsized vessel near Point Pleasant, N.J.

Coast Guard Station Manasquan Inlet received a distress call over a hand-held marine-band radio at 11:30 a.m. reporting that a 17-foot pleasure craft had capsized about one nautical mile from Point Pleasant.

A 47-foot motor lifeboat was launched from the station and arrived at 11:44 a.m. The small-boat crew used heaving lines to reach the four stranded men and to bring them to safety.

The four men, all wearing life jackets, were transported to the Coast Guard station, where local EMTs checked them for hypothermia and then released with no injuries.

The Coast Guard stresses that boaters outfit their vessels with marine-band radios. (Nov. 6)

C.G. medevacs angler

Cape May, N.J.

The Coast Guard medevaced a 40-year-old man aboard an 87-foot fishing boat 70 miles off the coast of Cape May, N.J.

The Coast Guard received a call at 11:55 a.m. from a crewmember aboard the commercial vessel Star Bright reporting the man was having a seizure.

A MH-65C Dolphin rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., arrived and hoisted Martin aboard the helicopter.

Martin was transported to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City for treatment and was in stable condition. (Nov. 1)

Coast Guard rescues two aground


The Coast Guard rescued two Virginia men from a disabled and aground vessel in the Yeocomico River near Kinsale, Va.

One man's wife contacted Coast Guard Sector Baltimore watchstanders at 11:31 p.m. reporting that the duo had gone out on a 27-foot sailboat and did not return before sunset as they had planned.

A 25-foot response boat crew from Coast Guard Station St. Inigoes, Md., was diverted to investigate, along with a rescue crew from Smith Point Sea Rescue.

The RB-S arrived and transferred the passengers onto their vessel and took them to a nearby dock in Wilkins Creek, Va. There were no reports of injuries. (Oct. 29)

This article originally appeared in the Mid-Atlantic Home Waters section of the January 2011 issue.