Skip to main content

Mishaps & rescues - Connecticut and New York - Jan.


A boat crew from Coast Guard Station New London, Conn., takes attendees of Station New London's response boat ceremony for a tour Oct. 28 on the station's new 45-foot response boat. The vessel is the first to be delivered to the station to replace the aging 41-foot utility boats that have been in use for more than 25 years.

Image placeholder title

Boat swamped, four in the water

Moriches, N.Y.

Four people were rescued from the water by a Coast Guard response crew near Moriches, N.Y.

Suffolk County dispatch reported a 21-foot boat taking on water with four people aboard approximately 1/2 mile east of Moriches Inlet on the ocean side just after 6 p.m. The people aboard the boat, which was taking on water from an unknown source, were bailing their vessel with buckets when they were swamped by a wave and capsized. A Coast Guard Station Moriches boat crew arrived to find all four people atop the boat and took them aboard the Coast Guard boat.

"They did the right thing," says Mark Averill, a search-and-rescue specialist with Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound. "They were their wearing life jackets and they stayed with the boat."

The rescued people were evaluated by emergency medical personnel upon reaching the dock at Station Moriches and were further transported to South County Medical Center.

A Suffolk County Police marine unit stayed with the capsized vessel until it could be recovered by TowBoatU.S. (Oct. 23)

Rescue after fall from bridge

New Haven, Conn.

A Coast Guard boat crew from Station New Haven, Conn., rescued a man from the Quinnipiac River in the early morning hours.

Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound received a report from New Haven Fire Rescue after a good Samaritan reported hearing cries for help off the Ferry Street Bridge at around 2:30 a.m.

The Coast Guard rescue boat crew was on the scene minutes after the initial call and safely rescued the man from the water.

The Coast Guard rescue crew brought the man to shore where he was reported to be in and out of consciousness when transferred to local emergency medical services. (Nov. 2)

This article originally appeared in the Connecticut and New York Home Waters section of the January 2011 issue.