Skip to main content

Mishaps & Rescues Long Island September 2010

C.G. rescues pilot

The crew aboard Coast Guard cutter Eagle, far from its New London, Conn., home port work to take in the sails July 2 as the ship heads to Corpus Christi, Texas. Crewmen work in the rigging nearly 100 feet above the water.

Hamptons, N.Y.

The Coast Guard rescued the pilot of a seaplane that crashed after it reportedly struck a rock during landing at around 1:30 p.m. in Peconic Bay near Shinnecock on Long Island.

The plane was carrying three other passengers, who reportedly suffered no injuries and reportedly made it to shore on their own. The pilot reportedly suffered no injuries.

The Coast Guard was initially notified by South Hampton Police Department; Coast Guard Station Shinnecock responded by sending a 25-foot response boat crew to the scene at around 1:45 p.m.

Once on scene, members from Coast Guard Station Shinnecock assisted the pilot who was still aboard the plane. (June 17)

Disabled off shore

Sandy Hook, N.J.

A Coast Guard rescue helicopter crewmember helped dewater and stabilize a sailboat with two people on board that was taking on water 60 miles southeast of Sandy Hook, N.J.

The captain of the 35-foot sailing vessel Holo Kiki contacted Sector New York at approximately 11 a.m. via marine band radio stating the vessel was taking on water.

A Coast Guard rescue helicopter and crew from Atlantic City arrived on the scene shortly after and deployed a rescue swimmer who provided a dewatering pump, helped plug the leak and assisted the master with stabilizing the vessel. (June 29)

All safely evacuated

Deer Island, Mass.

All passengers and crewmembers were rescued from the charter vessel Massachusetts after it ran aground and began taking on water off the coast of Deer Island, Mass.

Coast Guard crewmembers from stations Point Allerton and Boston, good Samaritans and state and local agencies removed everyone off the vessel and took them to Pemberton Pier in Hull, Mass.

The Massachusetts is located just outside the channel allowing traffic to move safely through the area. There was a report of two injuries. (July 3)

This article originally appeared in the September 2010 issue.