Skip to main content

Mishaps & Rescues Mid-Atlantic November

Recent Coast Guard responses from around the nation

SINKING 40-FOOTER — The Coast Guard rescued two people aboard a 40-foot boat that ran aground Sept. 7 and was taking on water near Little Egg Inlet, N.J.The Coast Guard received a call from TowBoatU.S., reporting the incident. A rescue helicopter crew from CoastGuard Air Station Atlantic City (N.J.) arrived on the scene and hoisted the two people who were transported to the air station where they were then transferred to awaiting medical personnel.

Image placeholder title

Distress call off Manasquan Inlet

Station Manasquan Inlet, N.J.

A good Samaritan rescued two people after their 59-foot boat took on water 27 miles east of Manasquan Inlet, N.J.

The Coast Guard overheard a distress call between the crew of the fishing boat Lady M and an unknown commercial provider reporting they were taking on water and listing. The Coast Guard issued an urgent marine information broadcast and launched Coast Guard rescue crews to assist. Rescue boat crews from Coast Guard stations Manasquan Inlet and Barnegat Light, N.J., and an air crew from Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., were dispatched to the scene.

The crew of the Atlantic Traveler responded to the broadcast and recovered both people from a life raft. The crew of Lady M had abandoned ship when it capsized and sank in 276 feet of water. The crew of the Atlantic Traveler transported the survivors to Point Pleasant, N.J. No injuries were reported. (Sept. 8)

Cruise ship crew medevaced off N.C.

Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

The Coast Guard medevaced a 31-year old cruise ship crewmember off the coast of Cape Hatteras, N.C.

The crewmember of the 861-foot cruise ship Carnival Miracle contacted Coast Guard watchstanders in Portsmouth, Va., stating one of their crewmembers suffered head lacerations after a cabinet fell on him.

A Coast Guard rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., transported the crewmember to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for treatment. (Sept. 4)

Collision kills one

Sector Baltimore

The Coast Guard rescued two people and recovered the body of a third following a boat collision between two recreational boats in Curtis Creek near the Coast Guard yard in Baltimore.

Good Samaritans notified Coast Guard Sector Baltimore watchstanders over marine-band radio, reporting a boat collision with people in the water. The collision resulted in the capsizing of one boat and the other boat with one person aboard went out of control following the accident. A good Samaritan got aboard the out-of-control boat and stopped it. Coast Guard Station Curtis Bay dispatched a 25-foot response boat crew and 41-foot utility boat crew to the scene.

The response boat crew recovered the deceased person from his boat and the utility boat crew rescued the two people that were clinging to the hull of their capsized boat. All were transported to a private dock where they were met by Anne Arundel County EMS. The cause of the incident is under investigation with the Maryland Natural Resources Police. (Aug. 30)

Missing 12-year old recovered off N.C.

Station Oregon Inlet, N.C.

The body of a 12-year-old boy reported missing by his mother was recovered in Duck, N.C., less than a mile away from the original search location.

The boy’s mother called 911 reporting her son was boogie-boarding on the ocean side of Corolla, N.C., and she lost sight of him after he went under water. A few minutes later, the board washed ashore without her son. A Coast Guard rescue boat crew from Station Oregon Inlet, two rescue helicopter crews from Air Station Elizabeth City, crews from Ocean Rescue, Corrola Fire and Sheriff’s Departments and lifeguards aided in the search.

The Coast Guard was notified by Currituck Emergency Management coordinators that the body had been recovered. (Sept. 1)

Two found floating without a PFD

Sector Boston

Two boaters were rescued after spending more than two hours in the water without life jackets after their boat capsized about 10 miles northwest of Racepoint, off the tip of Cape Cod.

The boat operator and his girlfriend were trying to bring a tuna aboard the 22-foot SeaCraft when the boat capsized. Two hours later, the operator of a passing boat spotted the couple, pulled them out of the water and called Coast Guard Sector Boston. The sector dispatched a 25-foot boat from Coast Guard Station Point Allerton, met the good Samaritan crew and brought the couple aboard. (Aug. 17)

This article originally appeared in the Mid-Atlantic Home Waters Section of the November 2009 issue.