Skip to main content

Mishaps & Rescues New England

Recent responses from Boston to Florida

Disabled engine 40 miles off Nantucket


The Coast Guard responded to a disabled vessel 40 miles southeast of Nantucket.

The crew of seven aboard the fishing vessel Diligence notified the Coast Guard at 3 a.m. that their engine was disabled.

Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England diverted the Coast Guard cutter Grand Isle to the Diligence.

There were no reports of injuries at the time. (Feb. 5)

Adrift and taking on water


A 42-foot rescue boat crew from Station Chatham assisted a disabled fishing vessel 17 miles east of Chatham around 11 p.m. after the 76-foot boat with four people on board lost power.

The fishing vessel Maria Jo-Ann called Sector Southeastern New England at 9:30 p.m. to report it was adrift and taking on water in 2- to 3-foot seas.

Station Chatham launched at 10 p.m. and arrived at 11 p.m., and the crew passed a pump and portable radio over to the stern trawler, which is home-ported in Boston.

The fishing boat crew was able to restore power at 12:25 a.m. and the vessel returned to Boston.

The Chatham rescue boat stood by until 1:12 a.m. to make sure the fishing boat did not lose power again. Two Coast Guard cutters were diverted to assist, but resumed normal operations when the fishing boat was able to maintain power. (Jan. 31)

Man airlifted from tanker


A helicopter crew based in Cape Cod airlifted a 39-year old crewman from an Isle of Man-flagged tanker about 250 miles southeast of Cape Cod.

The Coast Guard Fifth District Command Center received a call around 6 a.m., from the 600-foot tanker British Harmony crew, reporting a crewman was experiencing severe abdominal pains.

An HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew airlifted the crewmember. (Feb. 2)

Four survive sunken tug near Jamaica


While assisting with Haitian earthquake relief operations, a Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod aircrew located a life raft with four survivors from a tug that sank about 53 miles north of Jamaica.

Search-and-rescue coordinators at the 7th Coast Guard District command center in Miami dispatched a Cape Cod-based HU-25 Falcon jet crew to search for the U.S.-flagged tug, Betty, after receiving an EPIRB from the boat at 3:39 a.m.

The Falcon crew arrived at 6:50 a.m., and located the life raft with survivors near the vessel's last known position. A Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Fla., MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew hoisted the four crewmembers aboard. The men were taken to U.S. Naval Hospital in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Their condition was unknown.

The two aircrews and an HC-144A Ocean Sentry aircrew from Coast Guard Aviation Training Center Mobile, Ala., also conducted a search for a fifth crewmember of the tug, but did not locate him. (Jan. 27)

Missing boater found at restaurant

Cortez, Fla.

The Coast Guard ended its search for a possible missing male boater near the Cortez Bridge after locating him at the Moore's Stone Crab Restaurant & Marina in Longboat Key, Fla.

A good Samaritan who saw a news report on the search contacted search-and-rescue coordinators at Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg, Fla., to report seeing the missing man's boat moored at the marina and the man himself near the restaurant.

The man, a British native, left St. Petersburg Municipal Marina in the 30-foot sailing vessel Lady Grace and was last reported to be near the Cortez Bridge. He left for Glades Boat Storage in Moore Haven, Fla., and was supposed to check in daily with a friend.

A HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Fla., along with a 25-foot rescue boat crew from Station Cortez and a 33-foot rescue boat crew from Station Fort Myers Beach, Fla., searched the area for the missing man. (Feb. 6)

This article originally appeared in the New England Home Waters Section of the April 2010 issue.