Skip to main content

Mishaps & Rescues - New England July 2010

HEAVY-WEATHER TOW - The 55-foot fishing vessel Wahoo, home-ported in Kodiak, Alaska, nearly disappears beneath a swell May 3 while in tow by the Coast Guard cutter Roanoke Island. Conditions were 20-foot seas and 35-mph winds 14 miles south of Pearl Island.

Image placeholder title

26-foot Bayliner taking on water
South Portland, Maine
A Coast Guard rescue crew helped three mariners in distress when their boat started taking on water around 1:30 p.m., near Cape Porpoise, Maine.
Coast Guard Sector Northern New England received a cell phone call from someone aboard the sinking 26-foot Bayliner. The boaters were instructed to put on their life jackets while waiting for rescuers to arrive.
A 25-foot boat crew launched from Coast Guard Station South Portland and arrived at 2:05 p.m., to find the boat taking on water at a rate of about 3 gallons per minute. The Coast Guard boat crew used a dewatering pump along with the boat's installed bilge pumps to help control the flooding and then towed the boat to safety at Caco Marina. (May 16)

Two rescued from sinking boat
Several Coast Guard rescue crews and the Plymouth harbormaster responded to a mayday call from a boat taking on water with two people on board about two miles east of Plymouth Harbor, Mass.
At 2 a.m., a 47-foot boat crew from Coast Guard Station Point Allerton recovered a Kingston, Mass., man as he was clinging to Buoy 5 near Plymouth Harbor.
Around 2:30 a.m., a Jayhawk helicopter aircrew from Air Station Cape Cod spotted a second man, also of Kingston, Mass.
He was recovered unconscious by the Point Allerton crew. The boat crew gave him CPR and transferred Hansen to awaiting paramedics.
Both men were wearing life jackets. The 15-foot recreational boat sank.
The air temperature was 46 F with water temperature of 57 F and winds around five miles per hour.
Coast Guard crews from stations Cape Cod Canal, Provincetown, Point Allerton, and Air Station Cape Cod, along with the Plymouth harbormaster responded to the call for help. (May 12)

Overboard off Nantucket
An Air Station Cape Cod HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter crew hoisted two fishermen from the water two miles east of Sankaty Head Light in Nantucket, Mass. around 6 a.m. One fisherman was recovering; the second fisherman died.
The men were aboard fishing vessel Silver Fox, a 60-foot clam dredge based in Cape May, N.J., with three people on board. A crewman working on deck fell overboard shortly before 5 a.m. He was not wearing a life jacket or a survival suit. Another member of the crew put on a survival suit and jumped into the water to make a rescue attempt.
Unable to make it back to the fishing vessel, the two men in the water began drifting away from the boat, which was disabled and adrift because a hose was fouled in the boat's propellers. Winds were 5 to 10 knots, seas less than 1 foot and the water temperature was 55 degrees.
The third crewman remained on board the Silver Fox and radioed Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England at Woods Hole, Mass., for help at 5:04 a.m.
The Coast Guard helicopter launched at 5:22 a.m. and Station Brant Point on Nantucket launched a 47-foot motor lifeboat at 5:28 a.m.
The helicopter arrived at 5:40 a.m. and quickly located the two men in the water. A rescue swimmer deployed and the helicopter crew hoisted both men aboard and brought to them to Nantucket Cottage Hospital.
The 47-foot motor lifeboat arrived at 6:10 a.m. and transferred one of their crewmen over to the Silver Fox to assist the remaining man on board. The fishing vessel Mandy Lynn, based out of New Bedford, Mass., towed the Silver Fox to New Bedford so it could be repaired. (April 27)

This article originally appeared in the New England Home Waters section of the July 2010 issue.