Built on the tip of Long Island’s south fork and authorized by President George Washington, New York’s first beacon is the fourth-oldest active lighthouse in the United States.
Construction began June 7, 1796, and was completed Nov. 5. Built of sandstone blocks from Connecticut, the walls are 6 feet thick at the base, tapering to 3 feet at the top of the 110-foot, 6-inch tower. The light flashes every 5 seconds and can be seen for a distance of 19 nautical miles.
This article originally appeared in the March 2012 issue.