Multiple mishaps illustrate dangers of boating

Author:
Publish date:

In New Jersey, a Monday fire that followed an explosion on a boat berthed at Sea Isle City’s marina, sent one man to the hospital with serious injuries.

The fire could have been far more devastating if not for the city’s marina supervisor and fire chief, who were in the right place at the right time.

Click here for the full report.

In the Midwest, recent lake electrocutions highlight a need for caution while swimming near docks.

During the Independence Day weekend, a 26-year-old woman was swimming with family in the Lake of the Ozarks in Illinois. She was electrocuted when she touched a dock that is believed to have had faulty wiring. Also at Lake of the Ozarks, a 13-year-old girl and her 8-year-old brother received fatal electrical shocks while swimming near a dock. In Tennessee, two boys, ages 10 and 11, lost their lives as a result of receiving an electrical shock while swimming between house boats on Cherokee Lake in Tennessee.

"Make sure that the dock area is safe. This means making sure electrical connections are properly installed and safely maintained," adds Molly Hall, executive director of the Safe Electricity program.

Click here for the full announcement.

In the Chesapeake Bay area, the simple act of a boater cleaning his vessel apparently proved fatal.

At approximately 2:10 pm on Tuesday, officers from Maryland’s Natural Resources Police were dispatched to a possible drowning at the Two Rivers Yacht Basin located on the Bohemia River in Chesapeake City Md. 

It was reported that the 80-year-old victim and his wife were cleaning their boat when the husband fell overboard. His wife heard her husband, who had been on the bow of the boat, yell for help, according to police. She threw a life jacket and a line to him; however he was unable to reach either one before slipping under the surface of the water.

She said he normally wore a life vest on board, but was not wearing one on that day.

Click here for the full report.