The National Transportation Safety Board will hold a two-day forum on fishing vessel safety beginning Oct. 13.
"In 2009, commercial fishing had the highest fatal work injury rate of all occupations in the United States," NTSB board member Robert Sumwalt said. "Creating a safer environment and eliminating hazardous conditions on the high seas is one of the goals of the NTSB. The forum will provide a great opportunity to identify strategies to improve safety."
A panel will discuss:
- Problem identification and progress made in fishing vessel safety;
- Vessel related issues impacting safety;
- Fisheries management practices and impacts on safety;
- Lifesaving equipment;
- Training of crew members; and
- Perspective of fishermen on safety.
An agenda and webcast details will be posted on the board's website when available.