Ponce de Leon Inlet Light Station, just south of Daytona Beach, Fla., was completed in 1887, when the area was known as Mosquito Inlet. At 175 feet, Florida’s tallest lighthouse was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1998. The beacon was decommissioned in 1970, and a local preservation group spent decades restoring it. It was relit in 1982.
This article originally appeared in the November 2011 issue.