Test your knowledge with these Coast Guard license exam prep questions from the National Captain’s Institute
1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: A vessel being towed on the hip will display what lights?
A. stern and one side light away from the towboat side
B. stern and two side lights
C. stern light only
D. side lights only
2. As defined in the International Rules of the Road, a masthead light is a white light visible from right ahead to how many degrees abaft the beam on either side of the vessel?
A. 0 degrees
B. 22.5 degrees
C. 45 degrees
D. 90 degrees
3. INTERNATIONAL RULES: What is the
signal for a ship at anchor on a clear day?
A. 1 black ball
B. 2 black balls
C. 3 black balls
D. no signal required
4. Under the U.S. Aids to Navigation System, spherical buoys may be:
D. all of the above
5. One red pennant displayed at a storm warning display station forecasts:
A. winds to 25 knots, satisfactory sea conditions
B. winds to 33 knots, dangerous sea
conditions for small craft
C. winds to 35 knots
D. winds to 45 mph
1.B, Rule 24 2.B, Rule 21 3.A, Rule 30 4.B 5.B
This quiz originally appeared in the August 2012 issue.