Test your knowledge with these Coast Guard license exam prep questions from the National Captain’s Institute www.captains.com
1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: The danger signal may be given in which of the following situations:
A. meeting and overtaking
B. meeting and crossing
C. overtaking and crossing
D. meeting, crossing or overtaking
2. INTERNATIONAL RULES: Lights on a vessel shall be on from:
A. one half hour before sunset
B. sunrise to sunset
C. one hour after sunrise
D. sunset to sunrise
3. The abbreviation “hrd” on a chart means:
A. bottom is hard
D. horizontal clearance
4. When a weather report predicts that the wind will be backing, it means:
A. The direction of the wind will shift
B. The direction of the wind will shift counter-clockwise.
C. The wind will be shifting to the north.
D. The wind will be shifting to the south.
5. Which agent absorbs the most heat from
D. dry chemical
1. D Rule 34(d) 2. D Rule 20 3. A 4.B 5. A
This article originally appeared in the July 2011 issue.