Test your knowledge with these Coast Guard license exam prep questions from the National Captain’s Institute
1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: Which statement is true concerning the danger signal?
A. Vessels must be in sight of one another to use this signal.
B. Only the stand-on vessel may use this signal.
C. Distress signals may be used in place of this signal.
D. It consists of four or more short whistle blasts.
2. The four standard light colors used for lighted aids to navigation are red, green, white and:
3. A square, red flag with a black center indicates wind speeds in excess of:
A. 38 mph
B. 54 mph
C. 72 mph
D. 100 mph
4. The inner ring of a compass rose is used to determine:
A. true degrees
B. magnetic degrees and variation
C. magnetic degrees and deviation
D. deviation and compass error
5. FIREFIGHTING: What is the advantage of an all-purpose nozzle?
A. fits any hose
B. shoots farther
C. applies more water
D. disperses water and fog
1.A (Rule 34) 2.D 3.B 4.B 5.D
This article originally appeared in the November 2011 issue.