Test your knowledge with these Coast Guard license exam prep questions from the National Captain’s Institute.
1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: Which of the following may sound the danger signal?
A. the stand-on vessel only
B. the give-way vessel only
C. any vessel in sight of another
D. only vessels approaching in a crossing situation
2. INTERNATIONAL RULES: Rowing boats under sail or oars must show:
A. side lights
B. mast lights
C. stern light
D. a white light in time to prevent collision
3. INTERNATIONAL RULES: What size vessel only requires one masthead light?
A. 40 meters
B. 50 meters
C. 60 meters
D. 70 meters
4. INLAND RULES: What is the visibility distance required for a special flashing light?
A. 1 mile
B. 2 miles
C. 3 miles
D. 5 miles
5. Wind rotation around a low-pressure area in the Northern Hemisphere would be:
A. clockwise inward
B. clockwise outward
C. counter-clockwise outward
D. counter-clockwise inward
1.C Rule 34(d) 2.D Rule 25 3.A Rule 23 4.B Annex V 5.D