Skipper's quick action may have saved lives

Author:
Publish date:

A Bradenton, Fla., boat owner avoided a potential calamity Tuesday when he shut down his 22-foot Scarab immediately after feeling the heat from a flash fire in the engine bay.

The skipper might have prevented a massive explosion by his quick actions, said Deputy Fire Marshal Kurt Lathrop with West Manatee Fire Rescue.

“There was a vapor explosion, possibly from a leak in the gas line,” Lathrop said. “It had the potential to be very bad.”

Click here for the full report.