St. Simons Island Light

Author:
Publish date:

This Georgia lighthouse was built in 1872 and marks the Atlantic inlet to the Intracoastal Waterway and the Brunswick River. The Coast Guard maintains the third-order Fresnel lens, visible from 18 miles offshore, as an active aid to navigation. The Coastal Georgia Historical Society owns the 104-foot masonry tower. A previous tower on the island was destroyed during the Civil War. The complex also includes a keeper’s house, oil building and Victorian gazebo.

Image placeholder title

This photo originally appeared in the July 2012 issue.