Why boats sink: 10 prevention tips - Soundings Online

Why boats sink: 10 prevention tips

Author:
Publish date:

When a boat sinks, that’s typically the end of her because repairs on a sunken boat often cost more than the actual value of the boat.

So if boaters want to prevent a sinking at all costs, what can they do? BoatUS recently took its first significant look since 2006 at its boat insurance claims files to identify the causes of boat sinkings and found that most were preventable.

About two out of every three boats (69 percent) sink at the dock or mooring, while the remainder (31 percent) sink while under way.

Click here for the full report.