Skip to main content

Would a Massive Sea Wall Protect New York City from Fierce Storms?

Unknown

The devastating realities of climate change are becoming more imminent with each major, unprecedented storm that strikes. As a result, coastal communities are forced to consider options that would protect them from sea surges during storms, and some engineers in New York City think they might have found a solution: a six-mile-long sea wall in the outer New York Harbor.

The proposed wall would cost an estimated $119 Billion, and it has sparked debate among New York residents concerned that the barrier may backfire. Supporters of the barrier believe the structure would protect the city, its residents and its landmarks without cutting off the waterfront. Those in opposition, however, fear that it would have adverse effects on marine life, push sewage into the waterways and not hold up to rising sea levels. Some even fear that it would send storm surges towards Long Island and northern Queens.

The wall would need to be approved by New York City, New York State, and New Jersey to be implemented, and they would need to cover 35% of the cost. Congress would also need to agree to cover the remaining 65% of the cost. The Army Corps of Engineers has four additional options that it is currently studying, including combinations of smaller sea walls and shore-based measures. As the city continues to struggle with responding to Hurricane Sandy seven years later and storms threaten to become worse in coming years, one thing is certain: Some sort of consensus must be reached to protect New York’s residents. 

Related

BBR4

A 20-Foot-Tall Wall to Protect Miami from the Sea?

A $6 billion Army Corp of Engineers proposal to protect Miami from storm surge raises eyebrows and sees opposition

Maysak-TERRA-83120-1200x914

Four Tropical Storms Forming in the Atlantic

Four waves threaten to become named storms in what is shaping up to be a record-breaking hurricane season.

4973647600_84f9f7376e_o

Loggerhead Turtle Travels 23,000 Miles from South Africa to Australia

After being released from 20 years in captivity, Yoshi the sea turtle embarks on an unprecedented journey across the globe that surprises everyone.

unnamed

Clearing Abandoned Boats From New York City’s Shorelines

Abandoned vessels have plagued New York City’s waters for decades. One man is taking a big bite out of the problem

11179893704_503f974f21_o

Vessel Speed Restriction Zone Implemented to Protect Right Whales

NOAA Fisheries announced voluntary speed restrictions after right whales were spotted from a Boston-area beach during the whales’ migration.

b25lY21zOjZmNzgyM2IyLTQ3OTQtNGQwZi1hOTg1LTAxNWQ2M2RkMzQwODpiMDc4ZjE3Yy0wMWI0LTRkN2YtOGQ3Zi0wOWI4ZGU2YTJmNjg=.png

RNLI Completes 18-Hour Rescue in Storm Arwen

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution releases dramatic footage of a tricky rescue conducted in 20-foot seas.

Pub Aff Whats a Boater to Do at Home photo 4_22_20

Eight Ways to Enjoy Boating from Home

BoatUS is offering free courses and other suggestions to improve your boating when the pandemic keeps you from the water.