A fund has been set up to honor a longtime Southeastern Connecticut boatyard mechanic who died in his home from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Dunn Family Fund was created by the friends and neighbors of David Dunn, 39, a Port Niantic Marina mechanic who died Jan. 12 at his home in Niantic, Conn. Fire officials say a poorly maintained propane furnace created a lethal level of carbon monoxide in Dunn’s home, according to local press reports.
Two others in the home died from CO poisoning: Aralia Cameron (Dunn’s mother-in-law) and Cameron’s friend, Kathleen Dumais of Montville.
Dunn’s wife, Kelly, 38, and their two children, Chelsea, 7, and Alyssa, 3, were also overcome by the gas. The youngest sibling was released from the Children’s Medical Center in Hartford in mid-March; The older sister was expected to be released shortly thereafter. Kelly Dunn’s condition was reportedly improving while she stayed at a Connecticut rehabilitation center.
Donations can be made to: The Dunn Family Fund, c/o Citizens Bank, 43 Pennsylvania Ave., Niantic, CT 06357.